I was on 5mg of Lexapro June 19 to July 24 and was emotionally blunted, went to 2.5mg July 25 to August 6, and felt happier. I went to 1.5mg on August 7th and messed up and had a few beers the weekend of August 9-10 because I was feeling like my old self. Experienced a wave of depressed mood the following Wednesday to Sunday and then I held at this dose another 2 weeks, so 3 weeks total at 1.5mg and was feeling good. I went to 1mg August 29th and felt fine and since Monday was a holiday and I was feeling good after 8-9 days, I went to 0.75mg on Monday September 7th and instantly felt a sense of dread and it did not let up for 8 days, and on September 16th I went back to 1mg. I have been back at 1mg now for 15 days and it took about 8-9 days to get back to feeling about 80% as good as I did at 1mg before I dropped to 0.75mg. I am planning on holding at one for at least another 2 weeks before starting the taper again. My main concern is that I have been on the medication now about 15 weeks total and only 5 weeks at 5mg and if I do the hyperbolic taper of 10% of the previous dose, I am looking at 16 months of taper and I have already tapered 2.5 months already, so I am looking at 1.5years to get off 5mg of Lexapro for 5 weeks. Please tell me that there is a better way for someone who has only been on the medication such a short time.
In general, the shorter you’re on the meds, the easier it is to get off them. With that being says everyone is different. You can make cuts and see how it goes.
You’ll know based on how you feel what pace is the best for you.
Creator of Taper Community, here to help you.
Join the conversation
Sign in to share your experience and connect with others.