Hello, my name is Tracy. I’ve been on Zyprexa since November 2026. I started at 5mg for insomnia, and started tapering off in April. I’m currently at 1mg and looking for advice with handling the withdrawal symptoms. Has anyone gotten off this drug, and if so, how long did it take for sleep to return?
@Tracy Hi Tracy I have a friend in online space that has been tapering Olanzapine very slowly since like 2021 from 5mg. He is about to reach 0 this month or next. I will ask him if he wants to join the forum by email and if he wants to share his story here. 🙂👍
Abilify — 25mg — 9 years — actively tapering | Zyprexa — 7.5mg — 8 years — holding | with clinician. Lithium 900mg holding with clinician
Thank you so much! I am on day 3 of no sleep, nausea and vomiting. I am considering going back to 1.5mg and then holding for a few months. I think my last taper was just to much
(33% - should have been 5-10% from what I’m reading)
@Tracy I just sent him e-mail. I will tag you if he joins taper.community. I taper olanzapine myself got rid of already 77% of initial dose. We taper similarly but considering he is on much lower dose, almost 0 I think he is the proven one to talk here ! Anyways I’m open to any conversation if I can help
Abilify — 25mg — 9 years — actively tapering | Zyprexa — 7.5mg — 8 years — holding | with clinician. Lithium 900mg holding with clinician
Hi Adam, I do have a question for you. I dropped my dose 8 days ago, from 1.5 to 1mg. I am feeling very sick, should I power through and hold at 1mg and wait for things to stabilize? Or should I go back to 1.5mg for a few months, stabilize, and then do a smaller taper in the future?
Hello @Tracy I would suggest to go back to 1.5mg for a few months and do a smaller taper next. 1.5mg to 1mg would be for me in 5 steps. each step is minimum 6 weeks of hold and if that's not enough 8 week holds or even more. That's considered if 10% reductions are tolerable. 5% reduction would take obviously longer and a great choice if body acts up and gives warning signs. I currently follow 10% but I'm down from 30mg to 6.777mg. My body responds well to 10% but you are different case where you might need to slow down more as 1.5 hits harder than reduction above 5mg. Stabilize now 100% and ask if you need anything. 7.5% reduction are middle ground if 10% are too fast and 5% too slow.🙂
Abilify — 25mg — 9 years — actively tapering | Zyprexa — 7.5mg — 8 years — holding | with clinician. Lithium 900mg holding with clinician
Also don't look at it as on milligrams. Treat the reduction by % of previous dose. There is occupancy curve and the lower you go the more difficult it is. 1.5mg is where it still is wild so be careful. I could share my plan with you if you provide your email @Tracy . Its up to you🙂
Abilify — 25mg — 9 years — actively tapering | Zyprexa — 7.5mg — 8 years — holding | with clinician. Lithium 900mg holding with clinician