@Duloxi84

This was my second attempt at a selfdirected hyperbolic taper of sertraline.
Initially, I tried to split 100 mg tablets (I did not have access to 50 mg tablets) and weigh the fragments myself. In practice, this proved to be highly inaccurate and chaotic. Nevertheless, in an effort to avoid making frequent medication changes through my psychiatrist, I continued with the tools I had available.
Around Arrow 1, I switched to a water-titration method, which allowed me to measure doses much more accurately. At that point, I appeared to tolerate a dose of approximately 12 mg quite well. However, after about one month, I began to experience my worst withdrawal symptoms. I therefore increased the dose to approximately 16 mg.
From there, I resumed tapering by making very small daily reductions. Surprisingly, this phase was almost asymptomatic, with only very mild symptoms.
Later, around the orange arrow, I changed strategy and began making weekly reductions instead. This produced noticeably more symptoms, which I initially interpreted as the result of tapering too quickly. For that reason, I decided to hold the dose at Arrow 2.
Approximately three weeks into that plateau, withdrawal symptoms became increasingly evident. Out of curiosity, I reduced the dose slightly one day and, unexpectedly, I felt better. The symptoms became milder. I returned to the plateau, and the symptoms intensified again.
At that point, I decided to continue tapering instead of holding the dose. I was then able to taper continuously for approximately four months with relatively few problems, until reaching Arrow 3.
At 3.5 mg, I believed the dose was low enough that I should stop reducing and allow my nervous system to stabilize. However, just as during previous plateaus, after about one month the withdrawal symptoms became much more severe. This time I did not resume tapering. Instead, I remained at the same dose, and eventually developed severe, uncontrollable tachycardia episodes that could not be controlled even with rescue benzodiazepines.
I attempted to increase the dose slightly to approximately 5 mg, hoping to regain stability, but this was unsuccessful. Ultimately, I had to reinstate 50 mg of sertraline.
The Pattern That Caught My Attention
The most striking observation was that the lowest symptom burden consistently occurred during continuous daily tapering, whereas the most severe withdrawal symptoms consistently emerged during dose plateaus.
Daily reductions appeared to make me feel better, while remaining at a fixed dose repeatedly led to worsening symptoms after several weeks.
This has led me to a speculative hypothesis.
Perhaps the nervous system does not adapt only to a drug concentration, but also to the ongoing process of change. During a prolonged taper, different neurobiological systems may gradually adapt to a continuous downward trajectory. When that trajectory suddenly stops and becomes a plateau, these adaptive processes may temporarily lose coordination, resulting in withdrawal symptoms.
If this hypothesis has any validity, it may also help explain why some patients experience delayed withdrawal after abrupt discontinuation. Even after stopping the medication completely, drug levels continue to decline naturally for days or weeks until they eventually reach a biological plateau. It is possible that the most significant withdrawal symptoms arise not during the decline itself, but when that decline finally ends and the nervous system must adapt to a new steady state.
I fully recognize that this is only a single patient observation and not scientific evidence. However, I found the pattern sufficiently consistent and counterintuitive that I felt it was worth sharing. If this phenomenon has been observed elsewhere, or if there is an existing neurobiological explanation, I would be very interested to learn about it. If not, I hope it may represent a potentially useful avenue for future research into SSRI withdrawal mechanisms.
Sertraline/Zoloft:
▸1/2021>100mg, ▸11/22>50mg ▸6/23>25mg (Psychiatrist told me to take half the pills until I finished the box)
✘ Clean 3 Month till massive fall
▸9/23>100mg, ▸1/24>50mg, (I started tapering on my own, because the intention was to have me on 100mg for 5 years) ▸9/24>25mg, ▸7/25>12mg,(starting parabolic with tablet dissolution in water) ▸10/25>11,5mg, ▸11/25>10,3mg, ▸12/25>8,7mg, ▸1/26>8mg, ▸2/26>6,9mg ▸3/26>5,967mg ▸4/26>4,8mg ▸5/26>3,73mg ▸6/26>3,53mg
7/26 back to 50mg