Was this withdrawal that I was experiencing...months later?
A few years ago, I believe 2022, I tried going lower on my Effexor dose. I have been on Effexor since 2019, a medication of which I am still actively tapering off of. But before I knew that you can taper more slowly with smaller adjustments, I went from 75mg to the next dose of 37.5.
I really wish I kept track of dates and symptoms, but at the time I didn't know how important it would be as record for what would become a tapering journey. From what I remember, at first, the next dose was fine for a while after the brain zaps went away (not sure how I possibly dealt with that but ok)
But then, a few months later, I started having panic attacks and intense anxiety again. To me and everyone around me, it seemed obvious that this simply meant that I needed to go back up a dose. Anxiety and panic attacks were the reason I started Effexor in the first place. I promptly went back up to 75mg.
Only in hindsight am I questioning what that period of time was all about. It wasn't just panic attacks. I was gagging randomly. I was always nauseated. I was having intense crying spells, one that I remember wanting to hurting myself, which was VERY out of the norm.
Now that I've done more research, I've learned about withdrawal and tapering, I am beginning again in a slow, less harsh fashion. But I am still curious about that time at 37.5mg. Was that just me and my anxiety once again? Or is it possible that withdrawal can appear in that way, months down the line? I am curious if others have experienced something similar. It is hard to discuss openly and with curiosity with those around me because they love me and are concerned and want to see me "better" the fastest way possible. Maybe I just want the reassurance that I really can live a life off of medications one day.
Anyway, just some thoughts. I am actively working with my Dr and am surrounded by support. I am now one week in to taking 67.5mg and will take better notes about the journey this time around. Taking it slow so I can become re-acquainted with myself and have a clearer understanding of what is me and what is the meds leaving the system. πΆβπ«οΈπ
Venlafaxine XR - 112.5 mg 2018 - 2019 then decreased to 75mg in 2019
-second attempt at tapering, currently at 67.5mg
Levothyroxine - 75 mcg