This is the forum for everyone tapering Trazodone.
When you log a check-in in My Taper, it will appear here.
That way you can see how others on the same medication are doing,
follow their progress, and support each other through the journey.
The more people log, the more useful this forum becomes for everyone tapering Trazodone.
My trazodone taper story (so far):
Were prescribed 100mg Trazodone (2x 50mg capsules) for insomnia. Tried to taper by removing 1 capsule. Had a horrid experience. Back on original dose. Will try again once recovered from the failed taper.
Observations from my failed attempt:
1) Lack of tapering advise/knowledge did not make me aware of the risk involved if you go "too large" on tapering down
2) In some areas (such where I live) only have capsules, which in my case meant that cutting by the bare minimum means 1 capsule that equals a 50% reduction. This caused severe side effects, including anxiety, return insomnia (with vengeance), suicidal thoughts, etc.
3) Doctors simply advised that I should go back to my original dosage and that at least I know now that this is the norm I have to live with, without explanation.
4) The severe symptoms that I've experienced persisted for several weeks even after returning to my original dosage.
5) Even with these symptoms, I've refused to see a psychiatrist out of fear of being prescribed an even higher dosage and rather opted to go full on with lifestyle changes, such as diet, exercise, nervous system exercises and cognitive exercises.
6) So far so good. Seeing notable improvements, albeit a tough road.
Going forward and once the symptoms have subsided I will reattempt to taper off these drugs. This time around I will go even slower, although i still need to figure out how to taper partially off capsules.
I hope this is in some way useful to others. Will keep posted on my journey
Trazodone — 100mg — 3 years — reinstated | without clinician
I have only been on trazadone for 4 weeks. However I’ve gone up and down on dosing as well as reinstating Paxil. Weeks 1-4 were rocky but ok. Weeks 5-6 have been brutal with heavy low mood. Trying to wean off Trazadone but sleep is wrecked. So I want to see if the problem is Trazadone with Paxil or not.
I suffered a rapid failed taper and ditch to Lexapro so I reinstated Paxil to stabilize.
Never had depression. Only anxiety.
Paxil — 20 mg — 20 years. Went off now back on — holding Trazadone 25 mg Buspar 5 mg two times a day Ativan .25 at night
@Vic247. I’m also working with a psych ( who is better than the rapid taper one) who still says oh just stop taking it! I cut my dose 5 days ago and have terrible sleep and this stupid low mood that I never had before.
Anyone get more depressed on Trazadone?
Paxil — 20 mg — 20 years. Went off now back on — holding Trazadone 25 mg Buspar 5 mg two times a day Ativan .25 at night
I see so many people being prescribed Trazadone now for sleep.... completely unaware of the difficulties that will come when trying to get off of it. 😫