I am 82, retired, widowed. I live in a senior community.
There are 300 of us folks with long prestigious careers behind us. Many of us have served in different parts of the world and still are very introspective.
I preface my remarks with the above comment because I want you to understand about me.
As I look over times of my life, I have often reflected on how each decade is different than the last. Oh, not just events, but also deep insights that caused me to change my mind about many things I had formerly believed.
I can, at this time in my life, FEEL the wisdom that has arrived.
Of all the world changing issues that I have experienced, this withdrawal recovery has been one of the most significant.
I have realized that I have handed my mental health care over to doctors all my life without questions. I don’t mean therapists. I mean M.D.’s.
I have trusted the people around me to have my best care in mind when sending me to a hospital or rehab center.
And now, in a time when I am truly my most vulnerable, I have to scramble to change my docs and my insurance by myself.
However,
1.I DO have my wisdom!
2. I do have the benefit of hindsight which tells me that things don’t always resolve quickly.
3. Today is important and I must be gentle with myself.
4. The future will unfold well for me if I prepare.
Peggy
60 mg — 2 yr — holding | without clinician
0 Replies
Join the conversation
Sign in to share your experience and connect with others.