I was taking 1.0 mg a day for 20 years: .5 at am and pm.
2025 / october: had an operation, and was in the hospital for a week. They only allowed me .5 a day, so I started my taper then: I tapered down to .5 a day at pm. Thar worked fine: no withdrawals of any kind.
2026/ october: I'm tapering down to .25 a day at pm. I plan on staying on that for 8 weeks, then stop taking klonopin at all. I'll take 200 mg of magnesium glicynate a day to help with the anxiety during this taper and after.
Has anyone tried the magnesium substitute?
Does this plan sound good?
Hi, a 50% reduction is huge. The recommended schedule is 5-10% and hold for 2-4 weeks. Also, it is harder to taper the closer you get to zero. I am following the Ashton manual recommendations to avoid withdrawals and protracted withdrawal. Magnesium is not recommended during taper due to GABA.
Klonopin — .1875 mg — 35 years — actively tapering | Cymbalta — 60 mg — 10 years — holding | Gabapentin — 600 mg — 8 years — holding | without clinician
Heidi,
Thank you for the reply.
I realize that 50% reduction (1.0 per day to .5 per day) for a year was a big jump: my dr. was ok with it and I handled it fine.
He's also ok with my planned .5 to .25 taper.
Maybe I'm doing fine because he said klonopin is not as good as it once was, and he'd like me off of klonopin completely, so I'm managing it fine with his encouragement. I looked in the Ashton-Manual.pdf file,
but couldn't find anything about magnesium. Can you tell me where in the document it discusses why it's not recommended?
Thanks very much,
Etienne
Klonopin — 1.0 mg — 20 years — actively tapering
Join the conversation
Sign in to share your experience and connect with others.