I’ve been on Lexapro for 12 years. The first 7 years I was on 5mg. At year 7 I wanted to get off due to massive weight gain, hair loss, and lack of drive and motivation. At that point I already did not trust my primary doctor, so I did some (very little) research and decided on a 6 week taper. It went great, I had zero withdrawal symptoms until exactly the 5 month mark. All hell broke loose at that time. Racing heart, clammy hands and feet, akathisia, balance and coordination issues, vision issues and severe brain fog and insomnia. I tried pushing through but the insomnia was so severe I was contemplating being admitted to a psych ward. At 8 weeks I went to my dr and told him what happened. He said I was “rebounding” and put me back on but at 10mg this time, because he said 5mg was an “adolescent dose”. I got better within 2-4 weeks, but since then I have never been 100% better and back to myself. In late 2024 I did better research and finally found the Lexapro taper group on Facebook. I started my homemade liquid hyperbolic taper in July 2025. I am currently holding at 4mg since April. Brain fog continues to be my worst symptom and it’s been very hard the past few months so I decided to hold my dose. I will start back up here soon and continue to use the daily microtaper method I used to drop from 6mg to 4mg. From 10mg to 4mg I did 10% drops but I am going to slow that down now. I am going to try an 8% drop when I begin my taper again.
Welcome, Megan! Holding while symptoms settle is a smart move. Glad you found a slower path this time around. Wishing you a smooth continuation whenever you feel ready :)
You seem to have a good plan! please share your experiences with others!
Welcome, Meghan!
Take your time with your taper.
Stability before speed.
Cymbalta — 15mg(12mg) — 17 Jahre — holding -with clinician - 90 mg – 2021: First tapering attempt. 60 mg – 2023: Second tapering attempt. With a doctor's supervision—but unfortunately, a doctor who doesn't know how to properly taper off an antidepressant.
Join the conversation
Sign in to share your experience and connect with others.