Hi all.
I’m currently attempting to taper off Nardil (an MAOI) 45mg which I’ve been on for more than 10 years. It was effective for me as an antidepressant but wanted to taper off due to side-effects/hopeful eventual pregnancy. My previous taper attempt was 3.75mg drops/3 months. Within a year I developed severe akathisia, received ECT which helped significantly but obviously significantly upended my life. If it wasn’t for the immense support of my incredible family and friends I don’t know where I’d be. My Nardil dose in the hospital was increased to 60mg, I was also started on 500mg Seroquel at that time (for unclear reasons).
I have obtained a custom compounded liquid Nardil from pharmacy. I am currently on 38mg Nardil (doing daily microtaper of .1mg/day which I will probably have to slow down at some point) and 250mg Seroquel (dropping 12.5mg/week) without much issue.
I may hold the Seroquel dose at 200mg while I continue the Nardil taper. My provider thinks this may help the tapering process.
Anywho. Given my sensitivity and experience I’m not so sure I will be able to “cross zero” with the Nardil. Still, I think I want to try, for better or worse. And even more importantly I want to document my journey, especially since there is next to no information on MAOI tapering.
Love, blessings and luck to all - we are hero’s in our own sense.
Nardil — 38mg — 10 years — actively tapering | Seroquel — 250mg — 1 year — actively tapering | Gabapentin — 600mg — 1 year — holding
Hi Jamie, the research these days suggests it's best to taper one drug at a time, as the brain has plenty to adapt to with one drug taper rather than anymore. Also if you are tapering 2 at once and withdrawal begins, it's hard to tell which drug is causing it. Are you familiar with hyperbolic tapering? I'm now tapering seroquel/quetiapine (same drug) after 13 years on it. You seem to have been doing a linear taper on that, and at 200mg you should be ok for a while, because your neuronal synapses will still be saturated. There is a tipping point coming, for me it was 75mg but differs for everyone, and a linear taper will result in increasingly difficult withdrawals at that point. When I did it, I got down to 55mg and had to stop it got so bad. With hyperbolic tapering you reduce every 4 weeks to start with, with dose reductions of between 5-10% of the current dose. Depending on how you go, after a while, if you want, you can adjust it. It will seem a bit slow but it's proving great for me, at any rate, with next to no w/d symptoms so far. Look in the Resources section on this site, and it has all you want to know about it. I understand that it can be done on all psychiatric drugs so no doubt good for a Nardil taper. Have a look anyway. All the best, R. ps. for my Q taper I now use a combination of commercial pills and a compounded liquid to make up the dose, it keeps the cost down.
Seroquel — 69 mg — 13 years — actively tapering
Join the conversation
Sign in to share your experience and connect with others.