I'll try to explain as much as I can remember. I'm sorry for the english...i'm from Brazil
I started venlafaxine after not having success with another anxiolytic (escitalopram)... I believe it was around 2019. I didn't have significant side effects at the beginning, and my anxiety symptoms decreased a lot. I started, I think like most people, with 1 week of 37.5mg and then 75mg
I spent good years taking 75mg, until I had some episodes of anxiety and panic, and it was recommended that I increase to 75mg + 37.5mg
At the end of 2024 I decided I wanted to stop taking it for several reasons. The main one is that I want to get pregnant. Even though there is no certainty about harm to the fetus, I didn't want to risk it. That was when I made the first attempt at tapering off combined with sertraline. It was horrible. I went from 75+37.5 to 75, then to 37.5 and down to zero, taking sertraline along with it. I cried about everything, extreme unhappiness, a feeling that I wouldn't make it, stomachaches, nausea... and I had to go back to Venlafaxine
Upon returning, I wanted to stay at 75mg, because I thought that was already enough. I stayed at that dosage until approximately June 2025, when I tried to withdraw venlafaxine again, but this time on my own and without a support medication. I managed to go down to 37.5 without problems, but when I removed that last one, I spent 2 days fine and on the third I thought I was going to die. Feeling of low blood pressure, fear, panic, crying, chills... and I had to go back to 75mg
Finally, since June of this year (2026) I have been in the tapering process. The psychiatrist suggested to me the possibility of counting the granules. She asked me to do it like this: 75mg to 37.5; then open the pill and count half of the granules, then half of the half... until zero. Along with that, 40mg of fluoxetine.
I managed to do it up to the half part (1/2). When I went to 1/4, my body showed signs that it was too fast. I felt headaches, nausea, shocks... and I went back to the half. Since then, I have followed a method that has worked in part for me.
Today it works like this: every 7 days I remove 2 granules and see how I feel. When I reached 18 granules, I started having the shocks again... anxiety skyrocketing. I went back to 20 and I am now waiting for my body to get used to it to see if I can remove them, this time one by one.
My biggest fear is not being able to stop before 35 and having problems getting pregnant. I already know that hormones fluctuate a lot during pregnancy, and I am afraid of needing to go back to the normal dosage and losing everything that has been done
Effexor — 9,12 mg — 6 years — actively tapering