I just wanted to introduce myself. My name is Jodi, I’m from NSW, Australia. I’m currently tapering off Olanzapine. I’ve been tapering now for a bit over 12 months, and I am currently down to 0.5mg. Ive been tapering with the support of very understanding psychiatrist who has provided me with a flexible compounded liquid script, and has also been teaching me coping skills - which have been helping me to handle the withdrawal symptoms.
I am looking forward to using this platform and connecting with other members. Please feel free to reach out if would like to chat.
Zyprexa — Currently on 0.5mg — been on Olanzapine since 2017 — actively tapering | with clinician
Hi Jodi! Welcome.
Congrats on the success so far! Youll be an amazing community member with all of the skills youve picked up along the way down to 0.5mg.
What do you think has been the most important aspect to your success thus far?
Thank you for the warm welcome.
I think the most important aspect or skill I’ve learned that has helped me to get this far - has been learning acceptance. I have always been very accepting of pleasant experiences, but never very accepting of unpleasant experiences. So learning to accept the not so pleasant aspects of my experience (that can especially occur during the taper process) has helped me tremendously. I feel that one skill would be the most important aspect of my success thus far. I want to say too, that I’m still learning to apply this skill to the withdrawal experience - it’s not something I’ve totally mastered - it’s more of an ongoing daily practice.
Zyprexa — Currently on 0.5mg — been on Olanzapine since 2017 — actively tapering | with clinician
Very insightful. Sounds like a psychotherapy technique called "detached mindfulness". Really comes in handy when we feel like our thoughts are taking over and negatively affecting our lives.
Do you do any psychotherapy?
Hi Jodi
Interesting story!
Have you tried including keto dieting in your taper process?
It helped me. Might be worth thinking about :)
Looking forward to hearing your thoughts
Hi Jodi! Nice to have you here. I'm from the United States. I'm so glad you have a supportive psychiatrist who is allowing you to taper down slowly and is also helping you with coping skills.
Venlafaxine (tapering) - Current dose 17.92 mg Trazodone - 50 mg Levothyroxine - 25 mcg “Your brain and body know how to heal. Trust the process and keep going.” Please Note: I am not a healthcare professional. Any advice given is based on personal experience and that of others in the lay withdrawal community.
Yes, I have. I was being treated at a mental-health facility, and they were completely ignorant of safe tapering. They also were not supportive when I told them I would need to break open the capsules so I could slowly taper. For some reason it was looked at as a grave sin! In fact, I was bullied by one psychiatric nurse practitioner, who wanted me to basically cold turkey off the "lowest" dose of Venlafaxine. I left that place and found someone who supported a slow and safe taper.
Venlafaxine (tapering) - Current dose 17.92 mg Trazodone - 50 mg Levothyroxine - 25 mcg “Your brain and body know how to heal. Trust the process and keep going.” Please Note: I am not a healthcare professional. Any advice given is based on personal experience and that of others in the lay withdrawal community.
Yes mindfulness has come in very handy throughout this tapering process too. No I haven’t been doing any psychotherapy, I’ve been doing ACT (acceptance and commitment therapy) for the last 12 months. I also did an 8 week online happiness trap course which was also really helpful for learning coping skills. This is where I’ve learned the acceptance skills from.
Hi domagoj, it’s lovely to meet you. No I haven’t tried a keto diet (I’ve heard great things about this type of diet though). I’m currently on a paleo diet which I think might be similar. I haven’t really noticed much of a difference with the paleo diet. I will defintely look into keto though thank you for the recommendation.
Hi Catina, it’s so nice to meet you. Thank you for reaching out. I did a lot of searching to find this particular psychiatrist. I’m so glad I went to that effort though, as he has been wonderful.
I’m sorry to hear of your bad experiences with finding support. I have had a few similar experiences myself of cold turkey / abrupt taper advice (in a mental health facility and with previous psychiatrists), so I can relate to the experience you shared. It was those bad experiences that spurred me on to do my own research and seek out someone who is knowledgeable and supportive of tapering. Have you been able to find any support since that experience?
Zyprexa — Currently on 0.5mg — been on Olanzapine since 2017 — actively tapering | with clinician
I also need help on tapering zyprexa from 2.5 mg. It was given to me for severe insomnia. I am already taking 3 other sedatives and was tapering alprazolam. But now, it has been 6 weeks and I just realized all the horrors of this drug. My doctor is not supportive of small tapers. I was told to cut it in half and then stop. I tried, but it didn't work as I couldn't sleep at all. Any ideas? I am not employed, so I cannot afford a private psychiatrist and mine (which I got through a state insurance in NYC) is terrible at tapering. He wanted me to taper from 6mg of alprazolam to 1 mg! I am really scared of yet another dangerous drug and how to get off of it. I need to do it before my body gets even more used to it and I have no idea how.