first reduction: (really) poor sleep and night time headaches
October 9, 2026··
Thank you for the opportunity to ask a question. I hope it's not bad form to pose one right out of the gate - I can't read more than a few posts tonight and I'm hoping for a little guidance b/c sleep and headache have been so bad that I'm considering going back up by half of what I reduced.
I began by taking zoloft 22 years ago and about 8-10 years ago switched to buproprion XL and was at 400mg dose. I told my PCP I wanted to stop taking SSRIs and he suggested I drop 150mg at a time, so I thought I was doing well to request 75mg reduction instead. I checked the taper schedule recommended on here (Maudsley) and I see the reduction was perhaps still twice as much as I should have started with. I also didn't have any of the information I learned on this forum about supporting my physical and mental health during this process.
So far I've had vivid dreams, insomnia, spaciness, low mood, light and sound sensitivity, irritability. Last night I experience pink and purple 'flashes' of color/light when my eyes were closed and was trying to sleep - I would inevitably focus on them (how do you not?) and then they would shrink to black and more would pop up. That was a bit disturbing and definitely annoying! I had one episode on day 3 of 75mg less dose which was intense - profuse sweating, extreme dizziness and nausea. I was extremely tired the first few days as well.
The worst of it is the headaches and insomnia. I'm tempted to go back up 37.5mg (ish) to get some sleep. Today the mood and sleepiness was better. Should I stick it out or am I just making things worse with lack of sleep? I would love some guidance if anyone has any wisdom to share on this. I know this is a long road - nearly 3 years if I don't need to pause reductions, but I don't want to lose ground or have what I've already gone through be, sort of, wasted if I'm already past the worst for this first reduction.