@AJ thanks for sharing your story and your thoughts. I was older when I was practically forced on the drugs by a psychologist who thought medication would help me "process" trauma. It did the exact opposite.
I did have trauma, but managed it with therapy, exercise, nutrition, etc. When I got married, I sold my house, moved into my husband's house on the other side of town, quit my job, pretty much changed my entire life. Then my grandmother, whom I had been very close to, died. The other grandmother suddenly needed my care because my mother refused to help her. And my mother and law and best friend betrayed me. (Long story, but lots of dysfunctional relationships in my early marriage.)
Anyway, all that change just did me in. Stress. Life converging in very difficult ways and very little support to get through it.
The meds made me sick right away, but doctors always said it was just "me". I needed them and that was that. I didn't have Dr. Horowitz telling me "if you get symptoms you never had before, its not you, its the meds."
Anyway, I have spent the summer 12 stepping my resentment against the medical profession. Personally, it has done me nothing but harm, and societally, a lot is coming to light that leads me to believe I am not alone. But like I said before, resentment doesn't heal anyone.
So I feel ready to let go of resentment and be good to myself and others. I no longer deal with aliopathic doctors and that has helped me tremendously. I feel I have medical trauma to boot. All the forms and privacy this and hipaa that and check with your insurance red tape is just not worth it to me.
So yes, the experience has changed me. I'm less trusting of doctors. I'm more sympathetic to addicts of all kinds. In fact I'm going to an open N.A. meeting tonight to see if their experience might be a comfort.
Thanks everyone!
atypical in presentation of side effects, super sensitive to small doses and general delayed responder. never took a psych med that didn't' make me sick immediately with infections and restless legs. have never been able to tolerate being on them, but have never had support to get off so I've been bouncing back and forth. i don't like capital letters. sorry.
Paxil — 1 mg — 2 yrs — holding until Oct. 7 doc appt.
Seroquel — 50 — planning taper |
trileptal -75 planning taper
prasozin 1 mg planning taper